Moving heavy furniture can be daunting, especially if you try to do it on your own. But with advanced planning, the proper moving tools and techniques, and the help of a friend or two, you can successfully tackle your move.
Minimize effort and avoid damage – to you and your belongings – with our moving strategies and tips on how to move heavy furniture by yourself.
DIY Heavy Furniture Moving Tips
Before moving any furniture on the big day, take time to assess the layouts of your current space and your new home. Get measurements of doorways, hallways, and staircases to ensure your furniture will comfortably fit. Think about moving your sofa or couch, chairs, beds, and other heavy items: are they extra-long, super-wide, or oddly shaped? Identify potential obstacles or challenges in advance, plan your route accordingly, and know where to pivot.
When moving day arrives, use these heavy furniture moving hacks to help your move go smoothly and injury-free.
1) Disassemble furniture into individual components whenever possible. For example, removing drawers from a dresser or legs from a table can significantly reduce its weight or bulk and make it easier to transport. Keep track of hardware by placing it in a bag and taping it to the furniture piece.
2) Sturdy furniture lifting straps or harnesses distribute the weight of heavy furniture across your shoulders and upper body, reducing the strain on your back. They also help you control the furniture’s movement better, making it easier to maneuver through tight spaces or up and down stairs.
3) Furniture sliders can make moving heavy or oversized items almost effortless. Place sliders under furniture legs or corners and slide the furniture piece across the floor to minimize friction and prevent damage to both your furniture and flooring.
4) Cover your furniture with moving blankets, bubble wrap, or stretch wrap to prevent scratches, dents, and other damage during the move. Protective layers will also act as a buffer between heavy and oversized furniture pieces and other items loaded into your moving truck or van, reducing the risk of potential collision-related damage.
5) Moving mattresses is a unique challenge due to their cumbersome size, weight, and flexibility. It’s generally best to transport mattresses on their side, and mattress slings can help you lift, guide, and carry bulky mattresses while reducing strain on your arms and back. Create a makeshift mattress sling using a sturdy bed sheet or strong ropes. With the help of a friend, position the sling on the floor alongside your mattress, carefully tilt the mattress onto the sling, lift, and go!
6) Use a stable, well-secured ramp to bridge the height difference when loading heavy furniture into a truck or van. Walking items into a moving truck allows you to pack the space more quickly and efficiently, eliminating the need to lift awkward or heavy furniture pieces to an uncomfortable height, which reduces the potential for dropping things and reduces the risk of strain and injuries.
How to Minimize Injury When Moving Heavy Furniture
The last thing you want when moving into a new home is to end up injured. Moving heavy furniture can be physically demanding. Stay well-hydrated, wear appropriate clothing and footwear (closed-toe shoes are best!), and listen to your body. If you start feeling tired or strained, take a break. Avoid overexertion. Pushing too hard can result in injuries that will only slow down your move.
You can further minimize the risk of injury when moving heavy furniture by:
-Using safe lifting techniques. Bend your knees, squat down, and lift with your legs. Avoid twisting and keep objects close to your body while lifting.
-Enlisting the help of friends and family. Teamwork and extra pairs of hands will help lighten the load and make moving day go faster and safer.
-Using the right equipment. Moving blankets, furniture sliders, dollys, and hand trucks are must-have tools for safely moving large furniture.
Related: Pros and Cons of Hiring a Moving Company vs. Renting a UHaul
Let Priority Moving Take Care of the Big Stuff
You might be planning a do-it-yourself move. But if you need help moving heavy furniture or decide you’d like a professional mover to take over your move, Priority Moving is here for you. Our experienced team of licensed movers provides services that can get you moved across town or across the state quickly and efficiently, taking the time, worry, and effort of moving out of your hands. We’ll move your household with care and expertise, from packing to transporting to unpacking in your new home. And we have the experience and equipment to move heavy, large, and unusually sized items without damage. If you don’t have room for oversized furniture or other items, our convenient storage services can provide the space you need. Contact us for a free moving estimate or to book your moving date today! Questions? Call 503-544-7972 and let Priority Moving do the heavy lifting.