Moving takes careful planning and organization. It can be a challenging and stressful experience, and knowing where to start can be overwhelming.
When it comes to transporting your belongings to your new home, you have two primary options: hire a professional moving company or rent a U-Haul truck for a move. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.
We’ll explore the pros and cons of using a moving company versus a DIY move to help you make an informed decision and ease the stress!
Pros of U-Haul Rentals
- Cost-effective: Renting a U-Haul truck is a budget-friendly option, especially for local or short-distance moves. You pay a flat rate for the truck rental and can pack, load, and unload the truck on your own or enlist the help of friends and family.
- Flexible: The pros of getting a U-Haul truck include greater flexibility and control over your move. You can choose the moving date and time that suit you best. You can decide how to pack and organize your belongings and always know what’s where. And once you hit the road en route to your new home, you can make stops along the way without having to adhere to a strict schedule.
Cons of U-Haul Rentals
- Physically demanding: Renting a U-Haul means you are responsible for all the physical labor involved with your move. This includes lifting heavy furniture, loading and unloading boxes, dealing with steps and stairs, and driving a large truck. If you are not physically fit or don’t have assistance, it can be physically demanding and potentially lead to injuries.
- Responsibility: When you choose to rent a U-Haul truck, you take on all the responsibilities and risks associated with the move. If you lack the expertise and experience of professional movers, improper packing or difficulty maneuvering through challenging spaces may cause damage to your belongings – or you – and any liability is yours.
- Add-on costs: If you’re moving farther than a few blocks or just across town, the price of a flat-rate U-Haul truck rental can quickly add up with gas and overnight stays. What you save in DIY truck rental fees can also cost in the additional time it takes to pack, load, and unload your U-Haul yourself. Because liability for damage to your belongings is yours, confirm your homeowners or renters insurance offers coverage – or purchase cargo protection.
Related: 5 Free Moving Apps for a Seamless Move
Pros of Hiring a Moving Company
- Convenience: One of the most significant benefits of hiring a professional moving company is its convenience. Professional movers have the expertise and experience to handle all aspects of your move quickly and efficiently. They will pack, load, transport, unload, and even unpack your household, saving you time and energy – allowing you to focus on other essential moving tasks.
- Physical ease: Moving involves a lot of physical effort, from heavy lifting to maneuvering bulky furniture through tight spaces. Professional movers are trained in proper lifting techniques and have the necessary equipment and materials to safely pack and move your items. By hiring a moving company, you can avoid physical strain, personal injury, and stress and help ensure your belongings are properly transported to your new home.
- Financial protection: Reputable moving companies offer some form of insurance coverage for your belongings during transit and, in the event of any damage or loss, will typically provide compensation. This added protection brings peace of mind and helps financially safeguard your household belongings during your move.
Cons of Hiring a Moving Company
- Cost: Hiring a professional mover is typically more expensive than a DIY move, particularly for long-distance or full-service moves. Your moving costs will depend on various factors, such as distance, the size of your household, and additional services.
- Less control: When you hire movers, you entrust your belongings to their care and rely on their schedule. Once packed and loaded, your household goods are out of your immediate control. Having less control over the timing and execution of your move can be one of the cons of using a moving company.
- Schedule: Well-rated professional movers are in high demand, so you must plan and book your move in advance. Keep in mind that weekends and the beginning or end of the month are busy times for moving companies, and rates tend to be higher.
Related: What to Know Before Working With a Full Service Mover
How to Choose a Good, Reliable Mover on Moving Day
Choosing a reliable moving company is crucial for a smooth, stress-free moving day. Look for a licensed, insured professional moving company with well-trained, experienced movers. Ask for referrals and check out customer experiences: Is the company punctual, is their pricing transparent? Do they offer comprehensive services, including unpacking and storage? Are they communicative from the initial inquiry through the completion of the move, and are they responsive to concerns?
Hire Priority Moving for Your Move in Oregon
Moving comes with a lot of responsibilities. Hiring Priority Moving provides the many pros of using a moving company: convenience, expertise, and a stress-free move. From packing to moving to storage, our team of experienced, reliable professional movers is here to help so you can focus on other tasks. Contact us for a free moving quote – and check “hire moving company” off your to-do list. Questions? Call 503-544-7972.