If you’re moving to a new home, you may have spent weeks or even months planning and packing for the big day. But what about once the truck is unloaded and you’re in your new space surrounded by boxes? Unpacking is part of the moving experience that’s often overlooked or underestimated. No matter the size of your household, it can be overwhelming.
Where to start once the moving truck has left? In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through how to unpack after a move. Our helpful unpacking strategies will ensure a smooth transition into your new house or apartment!
Prepare Before Moving
Minimizing unpacking stress after a move is all about the preparation you put in beforehand. These four pre-move tasks are essential to setting up a new home quickly:
- Organize Your Belongings: Sort and pack things by room and category. This will make it easier to locate items when unpacking and help to avoid chaos.
- Label Everything: Clearly label each moving box with its contents and the room it belongs to. Consider color-coding or numbering boxes for added organization.
- Create an Inventory: Make a list of all your belongings, especially valuable or fragile items, to help you keep track of your possessions during – and after – the move.
- Clean Your New Space: Take time to thoroughly clean your new home before moving in. It’s much easier to clean empty rooms than a place filled with furniture and boxes.
Best Way to Unpack After a Move
Let’s get to unpacking! Once you have arrived in your new home, use our efficient unpacking tips to help you stay organized.
Unpacking After Moving Checklist
- Organize Boxes & Create a Schedule: Group and distribute boxes to each room to streamline your unpacking process. Prioritize unpacking room by room based on your immediate needs.
- Unpack the Necessities: Start with a box labeled “Essentials” (see Label Everything above!) containing items like toiletries, medications, a change of clothes, important documents, and basic kitchen utensils. This box will help you get through your first day and night without feeling overwhelmed.
- Begin with the Bedrooms: Set up your bedrooms first. Assemble beds, unpack bedding, and make up the beds. You’ll be happy to have a comfortable place to rest your head at the end of a long moving day.
- Kitchen Next: A kitchen is often the heart of a home. Unpack kitchen essentials, such as pots, pans, dishes, glassware, and cutlery, so you can prepare meals comfortably. Remember the tea kettle or coffee maker for the morning!
- Bathrooms: Unpack toiletries, towels, and other bathroom essentials and must-haves. A functional bathroom is crucial for daily routines.
- Reassemble Furniture: Assemble any furniture that was broken down for the move. Putting tables, chairs, bookshelves, and other furniture together will help you organize your space and smaller belongings.
- Home Office: If you have a home office, prioritize unpacking your computer, office supplies, and important documents to maintain productivity as you settle in.
- Living Room & TV: Set up your entertainment area. Unpack your television, speakers, and other electronics to make your new living room an inviting and relaxing space.
- How to Handle Packing Materials: Depending on your situation and space, keep, recycle, or dispose of moving boxes and packing materials. Some people save moving boxes for future moves, while others prefer to free up space by recycling or giving boxes away.
Related: Tips to Safely Move Large Furniture
Unpacking after a move doesn’t have to be a daunting task. You can efficiently settle into your new home with proper preparation, organization, and a systematic approach. The key is to take it one step at a time, focusing on the essentials first.
Don’t overthink furniture placement or spaces like guest rooms as you begin to unpack. Instead, invest your energy in details like shelf liners before loading items onto shelves. Be organized about unpacking kitchenware and hanging and putting away clothes.
Before you know it, your new space will be unpacked and transformed into a comfortable, functional home with minimal stress!
Priority Moving Makes Unpacking Easy
If the thought of unpacking is still overwhelming, consider enlisting the help of professional movers like Priority Moving. Our experienced, licensed moving team will not only pack and transport your belongings. They’ll also quickly unpack and set up your new home, from unpacking fragile items to furniture assembly after moving you in. This can save you time, reduce stress, and ensure your space is comfortable and organized from the start. Call 503-544-7072 to learn about our moving services, or contact us today for a free moving estimate. Priority Moving is a trusted Oregon moving company for households of all sizes; we transport across town or across state. We’re here to help make your moving and unpacking easy!